Wednesday, May 5, 2010

After "Follow the Yellow Brick Road"

So, after the Entirely Entertaining event at the Belle Meade Plantation, Anna and I had a ton of apples left over from our tablescape. Not wanting the apples to go to waste, and not really wanting to have my kitchen taken over by this many apples, I set off to make a ton of mini apple pies! I love anything in miniature..from cupcakes to candies to pies (can you tell I have a sweet tooth?) I had some mini frozen pie shells I keep in the freezer, and decided to make mini apple pies with my kids.

This is the recipe I used from Southern Living, with some tweaking based on what I had on hand. I'm not afraid to experiment!

Apple Pie
Source: The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook with some adjustments
Mini frozen pie shells, thawed
4-6 c. peeled, sliced cooking apple
1 tbsp. lemon juice (I had to substitute lime juice)
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 tbsp. butter

Thaw piecrusts at room temperature for 20-30 minutes. Combine apples and lemon or lime juice. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and next 4 ingredients, mixing well. Spoon over apple mixture, tossing gently. Spoon filling evenly into mini pie shells and dot with butter.

Bake at 450 for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350 and bake 50 more minutes.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or Cool Whip.

Here are some pics:


































































































No comments:

Post a Comment